Saturday, January 06, 2007

Love or Death?

I was sitting in The Coffee Shop today working on the final details of my message for Sunday, and a song came on my iPod by Derek Webb called "My enemies are men like me". I had to listen to it a few times to catch the impact of it, but it totally derailed me, and got me to thinking about the Saddam Hussein hanging, which has been a bit of a buzz in the Christian blog circles, justly so. I think that it is good to talk about things like this, to work them out and to seek what Christ says.

The lyrics to the song that really hit me go like this:

"peace by way of war
is like purity by way of fornication
it’s like telling someone murder is wrong
and then showing them by way of execution
"

Wow. Basically isn't that what we, the U.S., the world, the Iraqis, whoever you put the responsibility to, did when we hanged Saddam? Or when we put anyone to death? Murder is wrong, so we're gonna kill you. What was it that Jesus said in response to "an eye for an eye"? As followers of Christ shouldn't our response be made in love, not anger? Do we have the right to take a life, for taking a (life) or thousands?

Not the popular Christian answer, not the typical Christian response. So what do you think, what is your response to Saddam? To execution? Please leave a comment.

No comments: